Acupuncture for Back Pain
There is evidence to suggest that acupuncture is effective in managing certain types of pain, such as back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and osteoarthritis. Acupuncture may also help manage headaches, menstrual cramps, and postoperative pain.
In traditional Chinese medicine, back pain is often thought to be caused by a blockage of energy (referred to as “Qi” or “Chi”) in the body. Acupuncture is believed to help unblock this energy and restore balance to the body. This method involves the insertion of very fine needles, “hairlike needles,” into specific points on the body. It is believed to stimulate the body’s natural healing process and promote physical and emotional well-being.
Acupuncture for back pain treats back pain by stimulating the release of natural pain-relieving chemicals in the body, such as endorphins. It may also affect the way the brain processes pain signals. Additionally, acupuncture may help to improve blood flow and reduce inflammation in the affected area, which can also help to alleviate pain.
During an acupuncture treatment for back pain, thin needles are inserted into specific points on the body that correspond to the area of pain. The needles may be left in place for half an hour to forty-five minutes, depending on the severity of the pain. Infrared lamps or electrical stimulation may be used to enhance the treatment.
Advantages of Acupuncture for Back Pain
Some of the advantages of acupuncture for back pain include the following:
- Pain relief: Acupuncture effectively reduces pain and discomfort in the back. The needles stimulate the body’s natural painkillers, such as endorphins, which can help to relieve pain.
- Improved flexibility and range of motion: Acupuncture can help improve flexibility and range of motion in the back, reducing the risk of further injury and promoting healing.
- Reduced inflammation: Inflammation is a common cause of back pain. Acupuncture can help reduce inflammation in the affected area, alleviating pain and discomfort.
- Minimal side effects: Acupuncture is a safe and non-invasive treatment option for back pain. Unlike some medications, it has minimal side effects and is generally well-tolerated.
- Customized treatment: Acupuncture treatment is tailored to each individual’s specific needs. The acupuncturist will assess the patient’s symptoms and create a personalized treatment plan that addresses their specific back pain concerns.
So, can I use acupuncture for Back Pain?
Overall, acupuncture is considered a safe and effective complementary therapy for treating back pain by reducing the need for pain medication and improving the quality of life and daily activities.
It is important to note that acupuncture should be used alongside other pain management methods, such as physical therapy and/or primary physicians’ recommendation. And it should be performed by a trained and licensed practitioner.
Dr. Mitra Daneshrad, with 20-plus years of experience in pain management through acupuncture, is an expert in this field and has provided pain relief for hundreds of patients. Here are some examples of their experience with Dr. Mitra.
See what others are saying:
Dr. Mitra is truly gifted!! She has helped me with a multitude of things. When I initially came to her I was suffering from a back injury while pregnant. Not only has she given me relief from the pain she has also helped my body relax so that I can sleep at night (which is impossible without her!)
Dr. Mitra changed my life with acupuncture. She is one of the most talented doctors I’ve ever met. Meeting with her for weekly sessions completely erased significant physical pain that I was having.
I started seeing Mitra on a weekly basis almost a year ago for chronic pain and severe anxiety. She helped me get off my anxiety medication, relieved me from a lifetime of chronic neck pain…
I was initially referred to Dr. Mitra for lower back and sciatica pain related to a herniated disc. Her weekly treatments offered relief as well as a feeling of rejuvenation in my overall body.